History of the AAUW Pompano Beach, Florida Branch
The Pompano Beach Branch of the AAUW was established in April 1972 as the Pompano Deerfield Branch. By the summer of 1972, an energetically functioning Executive Board was putting together a year’s schedule, a yearbook, and a membership list. On September 13 the newly chartered Branch had its opening meeting. There were 26 charter members.
By 1979 we had grown to 113 members.
Speakers at membership meetings included the following:
- A local Judge and member who spoke on ERA
- Executive Director of the Area Agency on Aging, described a program designed to meet the needs of the elderly
- Female Mayor of Ft. Lauderdale, spoke on “Woman Searching for Self’”
- A member of the Broward Planning Division explained the complexities involved in providing municipal services
Social/Educational Activities included the following:
- Arranging a coffee for candidates before the Primary election
- Entertaining foreign students from Florida Atlantic University who described life in their homelands, with emphasis on women’s issues
- Supplying the Youth Center Library with books, magazines and games
- Going on a cultural tour to Norton and Flagler Museums in Palm Beach
- Joining the Ft. Lauderdale Branch during the Bicentennial to present a patriotic play written by a member of our Branch; presenting a choral reading of American poetry; distributing flags and presenting trees to local schools in honor of Bicentennial
- Monthly breakfasts followed by bridge and games; great for recruiting new members!
A New Century: 2000+
The Pompano Beach chapter continues to be active and welcomes women from the Pompano Beach area (including Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Coral Springs, Hillsboro Beach and Ft Lauderdale).
Branch membership meetings:
At branch meetings we often have guest speakers who discuss topics of interest to our members: historical, current events and issues related to our mission.
Each month we meet at a member’s home and one member discusses a book related to women’s and/or girls’ issues, current topics, etc.
Special Events/field trips:
Museum tours, plays, concerts, afternoon tea, happy hour get togethers, etc.
TOYS FOR TOTS — HOLIDAY LUNCHEON
Each December in lieu of our monthly meeting we hold a luncheon and members bring an unwrapped toy to be distributed to needy children
AAUW Dollars for Scholars Luncheon & Author Presentation
This is our annual fundraiser. Money collected from this event is targeted to our chapter’s scholarship fund. We have awarded local scholarships for over 25 years and have distributed over $38,000 over the past 10 years alone. Our recipients are primarily young girls entering their junior or senior year of college. Scholarships are limited to residents of Broward or Palm Beach Counties. We invite winners to our April end of the year installation luncheon.
April Luncheon and Installation of Officers
We celebrate our year’s achievements; introduce scholarship winners and swear in our incoming branch officers.
Monthly Dining Club
Meet at local restaurant for dinner and friendly conversation!
Meet twice a month at a local restaurant for lunch and games
To advance gender equity for women and girls through research, education, and advocacy.
To learn more about our branch visit our Website at:
To contact us email: